Wednesday, July 18



I could write about this movie, but instead I am gonna write about what I was thinking about as I watched this movie. I have noticed that a LOT of the movies I have seen deal with unhappy couples and unhappy marriages. People say if you want to understand a time in history, look to the art that was created. In a society where divorce is more than 50% and films and novels are pumping out material that centers around affairs and unhappy marriages, I wonder, are we holding on to something that does not work any longer?

Yes, the idea of that "soul mate" and perfect love, and fairy tale rapture has delighted hearts for years and years. But when marriage was created around economics and survival, things that most people no longer need from a marriage, what happens when the passion dies? In most tales, it is the loss of that rapture you had for somebody in the beginning of a relationship that fuels an affair. With people living so much longer, and less men going off and dying in wars and less people dying of disease, marriages last a REALLY long time (or are "supposed" to). Is marriage a dying institution? I know a number of people who do not want to get married, they will choose to live with somebody for the rest of their life but don't want marriage. Commitment comes from inside, not from a contract is what I hear.

In Little Children there is a scene where a group of women are at a book club discussing Madame Bovary. The breaking of societal roles is addressed in the discussion. I just find it interesting that there is such a wealth of material dealing with marriages, and it is really not a new topic. This movie just made me think about it some more I guess.

2 comments:

pigern said...

Hmmm, those are interesting points. Infidelity is not an uncommon act, which begs the question if humans should stay monogamous in such relationships as marriage. At the same time, a friend of mine recently got engaged, and I was so excited for her. I think one of the reasons the institution of marriage is still around today is because it represents something hopeful about love. Although, as women's roles have evolved, I think marriage has become more difficult.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I was listening to two guys talk last night and one said he went to a court house to get married and the cost was $20. His tax-break for the year for the marriage was $10,000. He spent $20 to save $10,000 for that year alone. It made me wonder if the government gives these marriage tax breaks to uphold some "moral" standing in our country.

I think marriage is good for those who want it and fine for those who don't. One of the movies I watched dealt with a different time period and a woman was fine with her husbands unfaithfulness as long as he stayed with her and loved her. The affairs meant little to her. I was watching it wondering if a man would be able to have such a viewpoint. Especially when women were considered property for so long.

I also started thinking about gays who want marriage and how as straight people speek against its struggles, gays want the ability to marry. It's intereting, all of it.