Wednesday, May 2

(M) Love Story. (Arthur Hiller, 1970) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Jennifer Cavalleri (Ali MacGraw) and Oliver Barrett IV (Ryan O’Neal) meet in college, fall in love, get married and find out one of them is dying. The film was a GIANT hit in the 70’s. According to my mom, everyone was watching it or listening to the soundtrack or reading the book. I found the movie pretty cheesy but I’m sure it was great for its time.

(M) Blades of Glory. (Josh Gordon and Will Speck, 2007) Grade: C-

Thoughts: Pretty typical Will Ferrell movie. Sadly, there were no really funny lines but a few funny moments. Will Arnett is the best as a bad guy and super funny, especially with his wife Amy Poehler. In addition, there were tons of random cameos but my favorite was Andy Richter and all the skaters like Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill. I would have liked the movie more but the ending killed it for me.

(M) In Debt We Trust. (Danny Schechter and Joel Sucher, 2006) Grade: C-

Thoughts: A semi low budget documentary about America and the huge debt problem we are facing. It is a very serious and concerning problem but like most documentaries it presents a lot of why and how but no what we can do or what is being done. Much of what they were talking about was nothing new if you follow current events, you won’t gain too much from this film.

(M) Shuang Xiong (Heroic Duo). (Benny Chan, 2003) Grade: C

Thoughts: This could have been a great film but the storyline was so weak. I liked all the actors (Ekin Cheng, Leon Lai and Francis Ng) and the action sequences were awesome but I just could not get into the storyline. Oh well.

(M) True Romance. (Tony Scott, 1993) Grade: B

Thoughts: This was such a Tarantino film; it just was not directed by him. It is interesting to see Patricia Arquette play this hooker compared to her stay at home mom looks on Medium. The all star cast in this film is impressive from Dennis Hopper to Gary Oldman and Brad Pitt. However, I really liked the random use of Bronson Pinchot and the awesomely scary Christopher Walken.

(M) Gargandi Snilld (Screaming Masterpiece). (Ari Alexander Ergis Magnusson, 2005) Grade: B+

Thoughts: An interesting but not informative enough documentary about music coming out from Iceland. The documentary shows footage from some of my favorite bands (Sigur Ros and Mum) but does not discuss why a country as small as Iceland (population is 309,699 as of April 2007) produces so much music. The scenery of Iceland is amazing and I would love to someday visit.

Movie Count: 40

3 comments:

pigern said...

Hm, 40. And May just started so that's about 10 movies/month. Not bad, considering the TV shows you watch too.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I think Love Story deserves better than a C. You don't have to give it an A like I think it deserves, but a C??? Come ON!!

Curelover said...

In school a C means average and I found this movie pretty average. The acting was so so, the storyline was predictable and the dialogue was cheesy. I'm sticking to my C+. Sorry man. I wonder if this movie was in Chinese if I would like it more???