Saturday, May 5


(M) Funny Games
Grade: B+
I just watched this film and went online to read some IMDB comments and saw that a re-make is being made or was just made starring Naomi Watts. I don't know why you would re-make this movie because the original was spot-on but maybe the director wants to challenge people who won't watch movies with sub-titles.
There's really not much to say about this film, but it is a film that is PERFECT for discussion. Here is a synopsis though. A family goes on vacation and ends up being terrorized by two young men. Very simple plot. What makes the movie is how it plays out and how the audience gets dragged in and involved in the movie and then what it says about movies and the audiences of movies. This movie was beyond clever. I will probably see the English re-make though the movie is so unsettling that I am not sure I would want to sit through it but if I can go with some people who have never seen the original, I'd love to make a night at the movies with this film. It's intense.

*******UPDATE********
For those interested, this movie was also done by the director of Cache and The Piano Teacher

No comments: