Saturday, May 5

So I've been to a few gigs lately and here is some info on them.

Autolux @ The Glasshouse
Grade: A
This band is top-notch. I always liked Autolux but had never seen them live. Well, I finally went to see them and I was beyond blown-away! They are playing again June 1st at the Natural History Museum but I am seeing Raveonettes that night, but at this point, I'd rather see Autolux again, and again, and again. They did 4 new songs which I liked. Carla (the drummer) has a very cool style of playing drums. Most drummers styles don't stand out to me but hers did.

Mono @ The Troubadour
Grade: A+
MY GAWD I LOVE MONO! This band is so great. LOVE LOVE LOVE. This band seems to come to L.A. once a year and I go to each show and each time I am rewarded and it only costs like $10 to see them. They rock, plain and simple.

Jesus and Mary Chain @ The Glasshouse
Grade: C+
Days have gone by for the JaMC. Their music still shines but their age has set in and I felt ripped off paying $30 for an hour set. I'll always be a fan but they were better live back in the early 90's.

Deerhunter @ The Echo
Grade: B
The band was TOTALLY on drugs! The lead-singer has some disease where he is deteriorating and he seriously looks like he is straight out of a concentration camp. He also wore a dress (ala Nirvana) and a womans wig at times (again, like Kurt Cobain). Their sound is ambient and noisey. I found them entertaining. I would definitely see them again but I wouldn't make it a regular event like other bands I see.

Happy Hollows @ The Echo
Grade: B+
I see this band ALL the time and I will see them many more times. They're a local L.A. band who are like the Pixies. They are fun and sometimes their shows are great and sometimes okay. This last show was one of the better ones. They'll be playing in Long Beach later this month, you can bet I'll be there.

The Klaxons @ Echoplex
Grade: B+
The Klaxons music is grand. One of my favorite new bands. The show brought in a lot of people and it was REALLY loud. I had ear-plugs but they drained out some of the synth sounds. Eventually I ended up towards the back where I could remove my ear-plugs and the audio was much improved and I ended up enjoying the last half more then the first. I will surely see them again when they come around next time.

4 comments:

Curelover said...

Yea a lot of people seem to dig Autolux. I agree with JAMC being mellow BUT I still insanely love them so I don't mind the $30 bucks. Um Deerhunter was okay ... their music was pretty decent but I was so distracted by the acting. I'm still trying to figure out what all the buzz is over Klaxons. People seem to love them. Go figure.

pigern said...

Do you own the Klaxons CD Cup? I got it at work and don't like them. (Yes, I am trying to get rid of things.)

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Il take the Klaxons cd... I LOVE THEM! haha.

What other goods you got? You ever get a box-set for a show called 'Trigger Happy TV'???

pigern said...

Is Trigger Happy the British version of Candid Camera?