Sunday, April 1

(B) Bee Season (Myla Goldberg, 2001) Grade: B
The main reason I read this is because of The Decemberists’ track “Song for Myla Goldberg.” I figured if Colin Meloy enjoyed it, I would. Well, it took me an incredibly long amount of time to finish the book, mainly because I didn’t care for the characters all that much. Goldberg has an admirable writing style, but that was the only aspect of Bee Season that I enjoyed.

(B) Factotum (Charles Bukowski, 1975)
Grade: B+
I didn’t enjoy this one as much as Ham on Rye but found it enjoyable nonetheless. I’m feeling kind of aimless in the monotony of my life and it’s comforting to have Bukowski communicate that in words. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?

3 comments:

Curelover said...

Oh my gosh awesome quote. I want to make into a button or something. Ha ha. Or at least tell people who take their jobs WAY TOO SERIOUSLy. Hee hee.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Ah! HAHAHAHA. I LOVE BUKOWSKI!!!! He cracks me up. Read Post Office, he spends almost half the book ranting on the ridiculousness of working for the Post Office which in reality in many ways can translate to work in general. I think I am gonna add that quote to my myspace page. You should rent the movie Factotum now.

pigern said...

I got Factotum at work. I gave it away to B but maybe I should get it back.