Saturday, March 31

(M) 21 Up. (Michael Apted, 1977) Grade: B+

Thoughts: The third installment in the Up series where Michael Apted follows a bunch of Brits from 7 years old and on. I enjoyed 21 Up quite a bit because some of them were cynics while others were positive about the outlook of their future. This is the time in your life where you are not as insecure as a teen but you have no idea what you going to do with your life. I’m anxious for 28 Up because I want to see how they are dealing with thing, especially since I am of that age.

(M) Jane Eyre. (Franco Zeffirelli, 1996) Grade: B

Thoughts: Dramatic romance set in old time Britian is my cup of tea. I’m such a sucker for the “Austen” type films. However, this time it is Bronte’s famous Jane Eyre that takes movie form. The film follows Jane Eyre’s life from a young girl played nicely by Anne Paquin to the older version played by Charlotte Gainsbourg. I liked William Hurt as Mr. Rochester but I did find him a bit old. Overall, a classic book made into a well-done film.

(M) The Namesake. (Mira Nair, 2006) Grade: B+

Thoughts: Based upon the novel by Jhumpa Lahiri, the film is about a young couple’s struggle to live in America. Ashoke Ganguli (Irfan Khan) weds Ashima (Tabu) and they move to New York from India to begin their life. Soon they are starting a family and living the American dream. It was interesting to see what happens to children who are raised entirely in America. It was like looking in the mirror a bit because myself and many people I know are products of this where you try to hold on to your heritage culture at the same time assimilate yourself into American culture. Kal Penn plays their son and he does a nice job but he will always be Kumar to me. The director Mira Nair does an excellent job in telling the story with great characters and nice pacing. It never felt the movie drag or get dull. Her other film Monsoon Wedding is great as well.

Movie count: 34

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

If I recall correctly, 28 Up is one of my favorites!