Tuesday, May 30

(M) Over The Hedge. (Tim Johnson and Karey Kirkpatrick, 2006) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Bored over the long weekend, Darth and I decided to venture off and watch a movie. As much as I would have loved to see Just My Luck or Darth’s choice of See No Evil, we went with Over the Hedge. The film was not terrible; actually it was pleasantly decent but I can not give it a higher grade because it was too much of a children/family film. The movie is filled with famous voices like Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, Wanda Sykes and William Shatner but my personal favorite was Steve Carell as Hammy the squirrel. Hammy was the best character and most fun out of everyone else.

(M) X-Men 3: The Last Stand. (Brett Ratner, 2006) Grade: A-/C

Thoughts: According to FTC, I complained too much about the film. I’ll try to make this review more favorable than my IM conversations with him. I gave the movie two grades: the A- is for the film overall which includes visual, set, acting, and purely on entertainment value; however the C is for the storyline which suffered greatly. There are too many holes in how the characters are portrayed and live and die that I did not feel comfortable with. FTC and I both agree that even when Singer was directing the film they were already making stuff up about the X Men characters so it was no surprise Ratner did the same. I guess I didn’t expect them to take it as far as they did. Oh well. I’m no fangirl so in the end it does not matter to me. It would have been nice to see more of Archangel (Ben Foster) since in the previews they made it seem like he had a bigger role. I just wish they would bring Gambit up as a major character. He was always my favorite :).

(M) Pride and Prejudice. (Joe Wright, 2005) Grade: B

Thoughts: Originally when I saw this film I gave it a B+ but after re-watching it this weekend I have to give it a B. There are too many problems with the film and though the last scene of the film works for modern times I do not think it stayed true to the novel at all.

(M) Pride and Prejudice. (Simon Langton, 1995) Grade: A

Thoughts: After watching the 2005 version I took it upon myself to review the 1995 version. This BBC mini series clocks in at 300 minutes (5 hours!!) and I must admit I did not watch all 300 minutes. It was just too much however I did view at least 85% of the film. This is the truest version of Pride and Prejudice and I think Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth are the best Miss Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy ever. One thing to note is how extremely British the BBC version was. I know Keira Knightley is British but a Hollywood version of one. The ones in the BBC one are all bad teeth and hair and noses. The Jane in this version was pretty unattractive compared to the lovely Rosamund Pike in the 2005 one.

1 comment:

pigern said...

I heart the BBC P&P. Sadly, I've watched it more times than I care to admit.