Monday, December 12

(M) Rent. (Chris Columbus, 2005) Grade: B

Thoughts: I decided to watch this film since I saw the Broadway production and enjoyed it. Plus my college freshman year Hedwig played the musical in our dormroom over and over and over and over again :). I went with a friend who has never seen the Broadway version and she gave me a different perspective after the movie ended. Although I did like the movie, I did not realize how thin the story plot was. My friend liked it but thought it was a bit on the cheesy side and I had to admit it was at time. However, you don't notice that aspect when watching it on stage due to the singing and dancing and magic going on. I think Hedwig's review covers most of my thoughts so go give that a good read.

(M) Ba Wang Bie Ji (Farewell My Concubine). (Kaige Chen, 1993) Grade: A-

Thoughts: I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to watch this wonderful film. Based upon a novel by Lillian Lee, Farewell tells the story of two men who are friends over a span of 50 years. Cheng Dieyi (Leslie Cheung) and Duan Xiaolou (Fengyi Zhang) meet as apprentices in the Peking Opera and go on to become the most famous opera singers in China especially when they perform Farewell My Concubine - the tale of a general about to lose a war and his loyal concubine who kills herself to stay by his side. Leslie is profound in his role as Cheng and his confusion over his sexuality since he plays the concubine in the opera. Gong Li is also amazing in this movie and very attractive. Since the movie spans over 50 years it is interesting watching the change over China.

Since most of you aren't too interested in my Chinese movies I won't be blogging much on them anymore. Just a sentence or two.

(M) Bin-jip (3-Iron). (Ki-duk Kim, 2004) Grade: B

Thoughts: Quiet yet effective film about life and just living. Funny thing is this is the same director who made Bad Guys and other messed up Korean films.

(M) Sun Gaing Hup Nui (Crazy N' The City). (James Yuen, Lanbo Cheuk, 2005) Grade: C+

Thoughts: A decent cop movie but nothing amazing. Francis Ng was great in the movie though as always.

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I've wanted to watch Farewell My Concubine for awhile but always find other things I move infront of it on my netflix list. I hope to get around to it some day. (But I only get 4 movies a month).