Saturday, November 19

(M) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Newell, 2005)
Grade: B-
WARNING, SPOILERS....
I've always been a harsh critic when it comes to these movies, but there are reasons. I'm interested to read a review by someone who hasn't read the book. Did the movie make sense to you?

Cons: Ok so I've finally made peace with the fact that parts of the book will be missing out of necessity because the book is friggin long. I understand that the whole subplot w/ the S.P.E.W. elf rights would be cut and i'm glad they cut it...dobby helping him with the tasks...the twin's weasley's wizarding wheezes joke shop inception....and i can't remember other stuff, but I'm sure alot had to be cut due to time constraints. HOWEVER, how are you going to cut out the quidditch world cup?? the veela's, the GAME. I mean why waste your time in CGI-ing an amazing field only to show the entrance of the teams and the audience's introduction to Victor Krum. I would have sat for 5 more minutes just to see the quidditch game. that was strike one.

Secondly, I did not particularly like how this movie was directed. Some of the scenes didn't flow very well, making some of the revalations in plot anticlimactic; some of the lines fell short in execution. One could blame the actors for this, but since the actors have been able to pull off their lines in the past, i'm going to have to blame the director.

Speaking of actors, as cute as Emma Watson is, does anyone else think she overacts EVERYTHING?? I mentioned this to the red head and he said that she's just an emotional character. I agree with this b/c of hormones and what not, but EVERY line??? It seems like every line she speaks in this movie, she's either on the verge of tears, REALLY REALY pissed off, or REALLY REALLY happy. it's kind of annoying really. Director's fault? Maybe.

OHH and i almost forgot. The cheese factor. Seriously? Did they seriously need to make the ladies from Beuxbaton's entrance so friggin cheesy? And what was with Hermione's entrance at the Yule ball? Even the Harry/Cho moment in the owlery sort of made me cringe when they were trying to get by each other....the dialogue was cute tho. It was really weird to hear an asian girl with an irish? accent.

Pros: I think they did a decent job with reworking the story to fit the time, except of course for the quidditch. The special effects with the world cup stadium, the dragon, the merpeople, and the maze were pretty cool. Ralph Feinnes is actually a convincing Voldemort...man i wish he had been in full human form... cuz he's HOT. Miranda Richardson(?? i think) did a great job with Rita Skeeter's character. Added a kind of creepy perverted aspect to the character preying on teenage boys!! The Durmstrang boys are hot too...oh those bad boys lol.

I didn't give this film a C because you should just go see it on the big screen. I probably am overly harsh with my review, but it's only because I cherish the books so much and sometimes you just can't convey all the emotions/intricacies of a book in a movie.

Looking forward to: RENT next week...look for my review.
See New Wave I BLOGGED FOR REALS!!

4 comments:

Hedwig said...

forgot to mention, the guy that played mad eye moody also did an excellent job.

bleed like me said...

OH NO! spoilers :'(
how dare you?!

...oh wait, i'm gonna watch it.
:-p

Curelover said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Curelover said...

ohhh i want to see RENT. can't wait. i still have to watch hp3. ha ha i'm lame. i have hedwig's dvd which i gave her which i got from pigern because she gets free dvds at work. hee hee.