Monday, November 21

(G) Depeche Mode/Raveonettes. (Staples Center, November 2005) Grade: A-
Please note photos provided by one Mr. Charles Pham.




Thoughts: Just got back from the Depeche Mode show and what a show. The Raveonettes were the opening act and I felt bad for them. You know no one cared one bit for them ... they all wanted Depeche Mode and I don't blame them. I enjoyed their 30 min set but I think they are meant for smaller venues. After another 30 mins to set up, Depeche Mode hit the stage with A Pain That I'm Used To off the new album Playing the Angel followed by John The Revelator which is strong live. The band is pretty much playing the same setlist for their whole tour which is good and bad. I think mixing it up every once in awhile would be nice but I'm sure more work. The best songs live were John The Revelator (so great live), Suffer Well (has a good feel to it), World In My Eyes, Personal Jesus (always a classic) and Enjoy the Silence (amazing stuff). The first encore was Somebody and I was pretty hyped about that one. Martin G. got up there and sang his heart out with just a piano playing as back up. Amazing! Then came Just Can't Get Enough and then .... Everything Counts which I freaking love. What a great great song. Their second encore was Never Let Me Down .. always a classic and then Goodnight Lovers. After the show I came to the conclusion I am madly in love with Martin Gore and think Dave Gahan is cool but a bit of a ham. He starts off the show with a suit and by the end is topless and thrusting his groin out to the crowd ... swinging the mike around ... swaying all over stage ... just hamming it up. I like my artist to be playing instruments and stuff but I think Dave G. is more a showman which is fine as well. So I guess the only thing left to say is ... how do you rank the three? I've asked Bleed Like Me and Darth this question before but I'll throw this out ... how would you rank the following bands? - The Cure, Smiths, Depeche Mode. That is my order.

4 comments:

pigern said...

Smiths, Cure, Depeche Mode.

Cup-O-Noodles said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cup-O-Noodles said...

OMG... I have never been consistent on this one.

See... for me, the cure stopped writing good material years ago, where as Depeche Mode still gets out a good song now and again. The Smiths of course blew up so they are hard to fit in becaue you can't use the longevity arguement, unless you just say they never lasted long which drops them to number 3. So, then I'm stuck between my two all time favorites.
Now, though Depeche at least can still write good songs, they're original songs are really gay and stuck in a time period where the cure's songs are more timeless to an extent (as are the Smiths)... so if I was using timelessness then I think Depeche would be number 3 on the list.
If it was a LIFE or DEATH choice I may go Cure, Depeche, Smiths (but I wouldn't be happy about it).

bleed like me said...

i'll spare you the long, drawn-out, over-thought explanation, and just go with what i like to listen to.
DM, smiths, cure (sorry ftc)