Sunday, July 10

Weekend in San Fran was relaxing and laid back. Many thanks to Bleed Like Me for his hospitality. Your place is fantastic.

(G) The Lovemakers (Cafe du Nord, July 8) Grade: C+
The opening band, post-coitus, prepared for their set by putting a sweatband on their heads and wearing '80s-inspired sunglasses. Er, yes, that was their preparation. Perhaps their attention should have been elsewhere though, as their badly beaten Korg failed to work after the first song. The crowd, who turned out to be mostly their friends, were supportive nonetheless. Blindly supportive. How amusing. Their music, on the other hand, was not. Headlining locals The Lovemakers then took the stage and they were mediocre at best. But when singer Lisa said, "It is so good to be back here and out of L.A. Fuck L.A.," the group fell several notches down on my scale. The crowd ate it up though and one frat-boy fan echoed her sentiment, "Yeah, fuck L.A." Oh, it must be hard being the neglected stepchild of Los Angeles, San Francisco.

(G) SF Pop Fest (Rickshaw Stop, July 9) Grade: A-
Ah, more of my element. This festival spanned the entire weekend and this night featured four bands. One of whom I recognized (Math & Physics Club) and one of whom I fell in love with (Remedy and Wren). The night overall was lovely and filled with a seemingly genuine crowd who had a fondness for cardigans and spectacles. The venue was decorated with actual rickshaws as well as a tasteful Oriental theme, nothing garish or overly done. Perhaps San Fran gigs aren't all bad.

3 comments:

Curelover said...

Look LA is not so great. There is the traffic, the smog, the heat, the traffic, the people, the whole scene thing ... I can see that but seriously SF blows. I don't like NY all that much either though I have not been back since I was 12 but I'm sure I would hate how expensive it is. Look we all know the best place and it is Hong Kong okay. I'm glad I settled that.

bleed like me said...

HELLO! the best place is MADRID!
oh yeah, and SF sucks. trust me, i know. i live here. i'm not saying LA is the best place, but SF sucks, period

pigern said...

One person's Morrissey is another person's Madonna. (Unless of course you like both of these artists. Then this phrase doesn't really work now does it?)