Monday, July 11

(M) Quadrophenia. (1979, Franc Roddam) Grade: C+
Thoughts: If you ever wanted a glimpse into British life/culture you might want to check out this little number. Jimmy (Phil Daniels) is tired of his boring teenage life and is looking for something more. He thinks being a "blue pill" popping mod kid driving around on his Vespa bike and fighting against rockers is the ticket. I wanted to like Jimmy but as the movie went along I actually found him more annoying and whiny. He embodies all the characteristics of a Mid-West emo kid but in British form. Good grief. The two plus in the film was a young and hot Sting as Ace and the soundtrack which was mainly the Who album with the same title as the film peppered with Ronnettes and The Clash. On a side note the actor Phil Daniels does the voice on Blur's Parklife song.

(M) Ai Zuozhan(Love Battlefield). (2004, Pou-Soi Cheang)Grade: C-
Thoughts: Yet another pointless film about relationships and killing. Not sure why I keep watching Chinese movies but there I go doing it over and over again. Yui (Eason Chan) and Ching (Niki Chow) are in a boring relationship where they either fight or agrue or both. They decide to go on vacation to work things out but that gets sidetracked when some goonies come along and ruin everything. In short, everyone dies and you wonder what the heck just happened.

(M) Miss Congeniality 2 : Armed and Fabulous. (2005, John Pasquin) Grade: D
Thoughts: I think this is proof that 1. I am not a movie snob because I can watch this, 2. I really must like Sandra Bullock and 3. Hollywood should not make sequels. I'm not going to go into detail about this film because it was a bore and waste of time. Okay it was a bit funny but I just can't recommend this. There is no story plot and the characters are all so underdeveloped and shallow and stupid. However, it was nice to see Enrique Murciano from CBS's Without A Trace in it.

(M) Nabbeun Namja (Bad Guy). (2001, Ki-duk Kim) Grade: C+
Thoughts: Koreans are messed up. I know I said this about Old Boy but this film is pretty twisted as well. Han-Ki (Jae-hyeon Jo) upon seeing Sun-hwa (Won Seo) decides she is too beautiful. Sun-hwa thinks Han-ki is some crazy nut case and slaps and spits on him when he succeeds at kissing her in public. In some strange twist of fate, Han-ki has Sun-hwa stealing money and becoming a prostitution to pay back the amount she owes. While she is whoring around Han-Ki watches all of this through a two way mirror obsessing even more about her. The film was extremely controversial when released in Korean and I can understand why. It was a disturbing film to watch yet strangely interesting. Much like Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down by Pedro A. you wanted to hate the characters yet you found yourself drawn to them. I was actually surprised by the films graphic nature because this is the same director who made Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring, a very calm and deep film.

(M) Sommarnattes leende (Smiles of Summer Night). (1955, Ingmar Bergman) Grade: A-
Thoughts: A more happier side of Ingmar Bergman, Smiles of Summer Night is about 8 couples and their night at a summer villa where lovers and partners change around. My favorite couple was Anne Egerman (Ulla Jacobsson) and Henrik Egerman (Bjorn Bjelfvenstam) because theirs was a young love - all innocent and sweet. The hard realities of the world have not affected them as badly as the other characters.

(M) Fantastic Four. (2005, Tim Story) Grade: D+
Thoughts: Can you believe I actually watched this garbage?!? I would like to thank FTC for bringing me to see it. Granted I could have gone to Starbucks like Pigern to wait out the movie, I am not a film snob and I will watch pretty much anything. In short, this movie made no sense and was all over the place story wise BUT now I see why this movie pulled in $56 million. Look people just want a fun, entertaining action movie with lots of fighting and explosions, good looking people and funny one liners and Fantastic Fours delievers all of that. Of course, this is no Spider-Man or X-Men, which are great films, but it is a notch up on Hulk (I actually saw this in the theatre) or Daredevil (never saw it and don't plan to). Johnny Storm (Chris Evans)and Ben Grimm (Michael Chiklis) were the most fun out of the cast while Reeds Richards (Ioan Gruffudd), Sue Storm (Jessica Alba) and Victor Von Doom (Julian McMahon) were the dullest but the hottest. Man Ioan Gruffudd is pretty hot in that older man way.

Some random thoughts:
- I can't wait for this Friday because I get Wedding Crashers and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

- Work is killing me. So freaking busy. (sigh).

- San Francisco this weekend was pretty fun. I just want to thank FTC for putting up with me and Pigern. I need to get sh*tfaced with FTC more often. FOR THE CHEESE!!

1 comment:

Hedwig said...

AND harry potter the half blood prince comes out this weekend too!!!!