Friday, July 25

(M) The X-Files: I Want to Believe. (Chris Carter, 2008) Grade: A-

Thoughts: The X-Files TV series ended in May of 2002 and the last time there was a feature film (Fight the Future) was in 1998 so it has been awhile since I have seen any new X-Files related material. IWTB centers on two FBI agents, Dakota Whitney (Amanda Peet) and Mosley Drummy (Xzibit), who are searching for a missing FBI agent. They enlist the help of a now reclusive Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and full time doctor Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), who together work with a psychic ex pedophile priest Father Joseph Crissman (Billy Connolly) to locate the whereabouts of the missing agent. It was a fine movie and I quite enjoyed it but it could have been better if they gave more insight into the case and background of the characters. The biggest disappoint had to be all the shippers (relationship of Mulder and Scully) stuff that I guess Carter felt he had to place in for the fangirls. I could have done with less of that and more on the case. I was never a huge fan of Mulder and Scully being together but I did come to accept it as the series ended. In addition, I was hoping for more appearances from old cast members but aside from a brief Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) moment there was nothing else. I am a HUGE X-Files fan and seeing Mulder and Scully again made me realize how much I miss that show and how much I loved it. This review is biased and in reality, the film should get a B+, maybe even a B. With that said go see this movie so it can make some money and they can go and make more X-Files films for me. :)

Movie Count: 63

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The story wasn't layered, the plot was under-developed and lack substance. I didn't mind the "shipper" aspect of the film, just wanted a self-contained feature film with story development and arc.