Wednesday, April 9


This past week I had the chance to spend a few days each in Seattle, Wash. (great weather as you can see above) and Portland, Ore. I have been to Seattle a few times, so nothing too new. My highlights were viewing a Robert Crumb art collection at a small gallery as well as a Roman art exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) and eating good food at some well-chosen restaurants (thanks to a local friend). The public library was also amazing: 10 floors of books. (Sidenote: The building was featured in documentary Helvetica because the library uses the font as its primary typeface. Great film!)

I then took an enjoyable train ride to Portland—my first time visiting the city. Memorable highlights were Powell’s bookstore (four floors and a whole city block of books), tax-free shopping and this local vendor called The Whole Bowl. There’s a street where a bunch of roach coaches sit, and I randomly bought a bowl at Whole Bowl, and it was delicious: a bunch of ingredients all in one bowl (rice, olives, red and black beans, tali sauce, etc.). Yum.

I also saw a bunch of gigs in both cities, since there was nothing else to do really at night.

4 comments:

Darth said...

You must really like books. Sometimes I wish I knew how to read.

Curelover said...

Yea seriously. Sounds like you had a good time though. The whole thing really reminds me of someone I know ... who takes pictures in bars and go to shows and thinks reading is cool beans ... who is it?? who is it??

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Hey! This sounds like the exact same type of trip I would take! YAY!! Go books!

New Wave, are you referring to Sung???? or Leslie????

pigern said...

Ha ha. No, New Wave is talking about someone else.

Yeah, the trip was great. I want to go on vacation again. :(