Thursday, December 13

(M) Inside the Smiths (U.K. 2007, U.S. 2008) Grade: C
I was somewhat excited to watch this documentary about The Smiths, though I knew it included interviews with only Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce. (I was talking about the film with a co-worker, and he goes,“No Johnny Marr or Morrissey? So, the other two guys?”) That’s not to say the rhythm section of the band is less important, but you really only get half (or maybe even less than half) of the story. The Smiths were really brilliant because of the amazing songwriting team of Marr and Morrissey. In fact, both Rourke and Joyce mention on numerous occasions how skillfully Marr could compose music. And we all know how Oscar Wildean Morrissey’s lyrics are, though perhaps less so today. But the most egregious absence is the very music of The Smiths, due to licensing issues and all that. It’s very strange to hear Joyce discuss “This Charming Man” and not hear the song play in the background. I suppose fans will have to keep waiting for Morrissey and Marr to make up and then tell their story in a more complete documentary. I know I will.

No comments: