Monday, December 10

(B) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Dave Eggers, 2001) Grade: B
My first introduction to Dave Eggers was in college, when this book had just been released, and my journalism professor had us read it in class. I have gone on to read the many McSweeneys and Unrequired Readings, and they’re all just as good. But this time, reading HWOSG, I found Eggers somewhat irritating. His long rambles about nothing, his disjointed narrative, his complete self-absorption and, well, his pretentiousness. Granted, this is probably what most twentysomethings are like. And his tragedy is affecting; I did get misty-eyed reading the bits about his mom. But overall, I plod through this and wondered why I was not more engrossed.

My book count is a sad 22 this year and most I feel are half-books. Next year, I will tally page counts perhaps.

No comments: