Tuesday, December 25

(B) Shortcomings (Adrien Tomine, 2007) Grade: A
Best known for his Optic Nerve series, Tomine has written his first long-form novel, which is chockfull of characters I see in other people: the Asian-American who doesn’t identify with anything Asian or refuses to recognize that aspect of him/herself, those who are partly ashamed or embarrassed by it (man, look at all these Asians!), those who attempt to please their never-satisfied parents, and those who become the activists, joining groups and assuming racism at every turn. The characters felt real and the situations realistic. Also, Tomine presents the issues without any clear-cut resolution or answer.

(B) Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi, 2004) Grade: A
I have been wanting to read this graphic novel for quite some time, but it was never available at the library, so I gave in and bought the book, now available with both volumes in one collection. The memoir is about a Persian girl growing up during the Iran-Iraq War, which started in 1980 and lasted eight years. As a child, she lives in Tehran with her progressive family, but when the violence becomes too dangerous, her parents send her away to Austria at age 14. I found this memoir fascinating because I rarely hear (or read) about the Iranian perspective, and it’s also relevant today as this war helps to inform the current situation in the Middle East. Also, I love Satrapi’s drawings.

(B) Free for All (Don Borchert, 2007) Grade: C
New Wave and I used to play library as children. We would put cards in the books we owned and stamp them to pretend to check them out. I’ve always enjoyed the library and one would assume I would enjoy reading about them. Actually, no. Or perhaps if Borchert was a better writer, I would find his observations about being a librarian funnier. I spent a good amount of time working at the library in college and though there are some anecdotes, I think they’re only funny to those who experience them. This book just isn’t that funny or interesting.

1 comment:

Scott Douglas said...

Hi,
I also have a book about public libraries; it's called "Quiet, Please" and Da Capo Books will be releasing it in April. I hope you enjoy it a bit more then "Free for All."

Best,
Scott
www.scottdouglas.org

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Please-Scott-Douglas/dp/0786720913/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198724719&sr=1-2