Sunday, October 14

On my way to Canada.
(M) Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. (Tim Story, 2007) Grade: C-

Thoughts: Reed Richards (Ioan Gruffudd) and Sue Storm (Jessica Alba) are getting married but before they can tie the knot they have to figure out what or who is destroying planets. It turns out it is the Silver Surfer played by Doug Jones but voiced by Laurence Fishburne. The dialogue throughout this movie was PAINFUL but the action was decent and the Silver Surfer was cool. And unlike Spider-Man they kept the movie under 92 mins so you can’t go wrong there.

On my way back from Canada.
(M) Spider-Man 2. (Sam Raimi, 2007) Grade: D+

Thoughts: What the f*ck did they do to Spider-Man? A strange black alien entity gets a hold of Peter Parker’s (Tobey Maguire) Spider suit and makes him a jerk and emo lame. In this third installment he has three enemies – The Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), Venom (Toper Grace) and New Goblin (James Franco) but wait New Goblin ends up helping Spider-Man in the end. Okay I don’t get it. Oh and the chemistry between Mary Jane Watson (Kristen Dunst) and Peter Parker is completely non-existent. I had to keep reminding myself that they liked each other. In addition, the movie was WAY too long. It should have been under 120 mins not freaking 140 mins. Geez.

(M) 28 Up. (Michael Apted, 1985) Grade: B+

Thoughts: The fourth installment in the Up series. I found it the most relatable because I currently am 28. At the same time I couldn’t relate because most of the people had kids and were married. I’m neither but the view on life is similar to mine. I don’t have those stupid ideal thoughts and I’m not as insecure as I was when I was younger. If anything they all have become a bit more bitter and cynical.

(M) Pickpocket. (Robert Bresson, 1959) Grade: B

Thoughts: Michel (Martin La Salle) is a poor man who learns the tricks of pick pocketing to make money. It soon consumes him until it leads to his demise. Bresson is a director who doesn’t want to explain ANYTHING to his audience. One reviewer said Bresson’s films are like ink blots tests that everyone has a different way to interpreting; I agree. The film was interesting when it showed the art of pick pocketing, aside from that the bad acting and stoic settings was pretty unentertaining.

(M) Red Shoes. (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1948) Grade: A-

Thoughts: The best example of art imitating life. Boris Lermontov (Anton Walbrook) is in charge of the most famous ballet organization. A young ballerina name Victoria Page (Moira Shearer) and a young composer Julian Craster (Marius Goring) join his company as the same time. They get placed on a new ballet production based on Hans Christian Andersenn’s fable The Red Shoes. They fall in love and once Boris finds out he decides to get revenge on his two protégés. It was a very long and drawn out film and a bit over the top but well done.

Movie Count: 97

3 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

28 Up was also one of my favorites and probably for the same reason, I am closest to that age. I think they are all good though. Where is Neil at at 28? I think that's his name... the one who is different than everyone else in the choices he makes.

pigern said...

I think at 28 Neil is unemployed and a drifter. At 21 he is living in that really crummy flat and is a freelance construction worker. So 7 years later, he's even worse off.

Jim said...

I hated Spider-Man 3. Do they really need to try to fit in as many action sequencs as they can? After a while it gets tiring, though I suppose I'm not in the target audience anymore. But don't get me wrong, I still like explosions.