Tuesday, August 7

Still watching a lot of movies, here are some of the recent views and my thoughts.

Marie Antoinette. Grade: B
I actually really liked this movie and I am not sure anyone else in the world did. A look at the life of somebody born into wealth (ala Paris Hilton) who must conform to those societies standards even if they don't want to. The de-valuation of women, the roles and expectations of women, the superficiality of the lifestyle, a nation wasting its finacnes on a pointless military venture, and more more more more... social commentary done very well.

Cinderella Man. Grade: B
Very well done movie about a true life boxer. Paul G. was great and I HATED him in Sideways (as I HATED Sideways).

Night At Mauds. Grade: B
Part of a six film series called '6 Moral Tales' by Eric Rohmer (i think), this one was nominated and may have won best foreign film. The movie consists of a devout Catholic who spends an evening discussing love and religion. Mainly a philosophical movie, it was excellent. A man turns away from real love to find love with somebody of his own religious belief and really denies himself a greater happiness (possibly).

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Grade: C
Why is this movie so highly acclaimed, I don't get it.

Breathless. Grade: B
A film by Jon-Luc Godard. This film was what really established the French New-Wave. It was enjoyable. There is a scene that takes place in a hotel room that goes on and on and on and I was never bored by it.

Quartet. Grade: B
A movie set in Paris where again, the role of women and marriage is taken a look at. The time period was probably in the 1920's or 30's. What is marriage? Again, this institution is looked at.

Osama. Grade: B
Nominated for best foreign film a couple years ago, not sure if it won or not. This was shot after the fall of the Taliban ion Afghanistan. What happens under the Taliban when you have no father or source of income, you starve or do what you can for food. Here a girl dresses up like a boy to work and get money for food and then she is taken by the Taliban to be trained to fight but things start to fall apart and the discovery of her true sex is on the horizon.

8 comments:

pigern said...

Well, a lot of period pieces already cover the devalued role of women in society. The difference is that they do it much better. I mean, I think Sofia is great and I really wanted to like this film, but I got nothing from it. It was just pretty visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. (Wow. You hated Sideways? Weird.)

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I felt Sofia made it relate more to today's society than focusing on women in the past which I thought was good. Yeah, I mean... I would say Sideways was one of the worst movies to ever get any attention. I hated it that much.

Hedwig said...

wow i got through that whole post thinking it was new wave and surprise it's cups! strong work.

i too hated sideways...i don't have any idea why anyone liked it.

pigern said...

Wow. Two people who hate sideways. Can you guys explain why? Too pretentious? Not funny? Annoying? Disliked the characters? I thought it was OK but hate is pretty strong. Hm. I actually can't think of any movies I hate.

Hedwig said...

ok maybe hate is a strong word, but reasons why i DISLIKE this movie so much is partly beCAUSE it got so much acclaim when it was just an ok movie. it wasn't even that funny, neither story or characters were very interesting to me and i just didn't connect with it at all. did you like it pigern?

Cup-O-Noodles said...

From the beginning the acting was awful (Sideways) and then the story developed around these two pathetic and uninteresting people. Paul G's friend was a total asshole loser. I could have some sympathy for Paul G's character but the acting by the other guy was sooo bad (like Jason Schwartzman in Marie Antoinette), but in M.A. Jason's role was minimal as was his dialogue so I could get by it. In Sideways the guy was a main character. The movie was not that funny and I found it rather boring. I don't know. I only saw it once, I just came out not liking it, wondered why people did like it. But then, really I am nobody to judge this movie cause I like quite a few dispicable films. I would have to re-watch it (and if I did I'd be distanced from the hype it got so my feeling may be more subdued). I wanted to walk out of the movie though. However, I also REALLY wanted to walk out of Shakespeare In Love and that won a boat-load of things also.

I should give better justifications for my opinion, it's been awhile though. If I rewatched it I may not be so harsh.

Curelover said...

1. M.A. looked pretty bad.
2. I am so jealous by all your movie watching Cup :) and Hedwig I wish it was me but alas no.
3. Sideways was just an okay movie that got WAY too much praise for its own good. It was a one trick pony and boy was it was it some trick.
4. I think I can think of some movies I really disliked ... and maybe even a few I hate.

bleed like me said...

Marie Antoinette is on my worst movies ever list, along with Just Married. visuals were good, but that doesn't make for a good movie, take a picture instead.