Monday, August 20

(M) Stardust. (Matthew Vaughn, 2007) Grade: B+

Thoughts: Tristan (Charlie Cox) is trying to win the heart of Victoria (Sienna Miller) and to do so he must travel over the Wall to retrieve a fallen star. Unknown to him, the star is actually a human name Yvaine (Claire Danes). Oh and he has to do this before a wicked witch named Lamia (Michelle Pfeiffer) and an evil prince named Septimus (Mark Strong) get to her first. So when the ads for this movie were posted I thought this looks like crap but then a co-worker and some reviews painted a different story. This movie was fun and very much in the same realm of the Princess Bride and the Neverending Story. It is filled with adventure, humor and romance. The entire cast does a great job and Robert De Niro’s performance as Captain Shakespeare was terrific. Sadly, the movie cost around $65 million to make but has only pulled in $19 million in the two weeks it has been out so hopefully more people go and see it.

(M) Superbad. (Greg Mottola, 2007) Grade: B-

Thoughts: Seth (Jonah Hill) and Evan (Michael Cera) are best friends who have to deal with the fact that in a few months they will be graduating high school and going off to different colleges. I went into this movie not expecting much and came out the same. The storyline with Seth, Evan and their friend Fogell aka McLovin (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) was okay but the whole deal with the two officers played by Bill Hader and Seth Rogen was BAD. I enjoyed Michael Cera’s performance because it was basically George Michael from Arrested Development all over again. However, this movie was pretty much meant for guys. I think what didn’t work for me was I could not relate anymore to the subject matter. High school has been awhile for me and I didn’t do high school like these characters where they are trying to score booze to go to some girl’s party and get laid. In addition, the movie was way too long...almost a full two hours when it could have been 20 to 30 mins shorter.

Movie count: 78

On a side note going to the movies has become harder and harder for me due to a number of reasons. There is cell phone person: hey they just gave you three chances to turn or silence your cell phone before the movie starts but you jackarse have to leave it on and HAVE THE NERVE to answer it during the film. Grrrrrr. There is teenage kids: hey kids kicking my chair after I asked nicely to stop then I had to move to another seat or talking to your friend about what to do after the movie like hang out at the arcade or when is their parent coming to pick them up. Grrrrrr. There is parents bringing in young kids: hey couldn't you just go through life not exposing your 3 or 4 year old to this film or find a babysitter or not go and have sex and populate this world and raise more idiots like yourself. Grrrrrr.

Look movies cost so much now and I have to be super selective of what I am willing to see. I might just stop going soon if I have to deal with this all the time. Darth has accused me of being an art house snob but I'm not because I'm willing to see a lot of mainstream movies. I think I just realize that I'm not nice and bitter and grumpy and I have Netflix and can rent the movie and watch it in the comfort of my house :)

7 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I TOTAllY agree with you on the theater rant. I was talking to some people recently about this. I haven't been inside a theater since 40 Year Old Virgin as far as I can recall, unless that wedding mock-u-mentary was after 40 year old. If so, then it's been since then and that was over a year ago I believe.

I CAN NOT stand people with cell phones. Talking on them, texting people on them, checking the time. Plus the kids, the babies, the talking. I'm over it. I just wait til I can rent it. Superbad is the ONLY movie I have been considering to go see in a theater up until two days ago when I saw that '2 Days In Paris' is playing (at an art house). I will probably go see that movie. But I am done with theaters.

Jim said...

I actually try to avoid seeing comedies at the theater because I don't like the sound of children laughing. Um, okay, that sounds kind of bad... but I do avoid comedies because loud laughing annoys me.

Curelover said...

Yea Cup going to movies has become super hard for me. I love going but I think America is getting dumber and more annoying.

Loud laughing from kids almost killed the Simpsons movie for me Jim. It was sooo painful (sigh) but no worries. I'll just go again cause it is the Simpsons and they rule.

Hedwig said...

totally agree with the theater thing. every movie i've seen this summer at least one person's cell phone went off and YUP they answered it.

you'll love this, when i went to Wicked a couple of weeks ago, my mom brought her friend. in the first half of the musical she checked her effing phone THREE TIMES....and texted whoever was texting her back. WTF?! I was so embarrassed. Oddly enough she never checked it during the 2nd half. my cousin and i were betting how many times she'd check it during the 2nd half...needless to say we both lost.

pigern said...

Yeah, the cell phone thing surprises me. When I saw Stardust with New Wave, a guy's phone goes off, but I figure, maybe he forgot. (Although he did answer it, so I couldn't forgive that.) And then the same phone went off about 20 minutes later. He didn't even change it to vibrate. What the heck?!

charles said...

new wave, you're nuts. superbad was superRAD.

Darth said...

wait wait wait.....there was a plot to superbad? When did this happen? ha-ha. it was okay, not the best, but not the worst either. Although the cop characters were cool, their scenes were for the most part pointless.

I think the best story I have heard about a movie going experience lately, was my friend was watching the Simpson’s movie, when some "cool" guy comes in and throws his soda into the audience and then takes off running outside the theater and through the exit onto the street. That's Classy!