Sunday, August 26


(M) Inland Empire [David Lynch]
Grade: F

Here is 3 hours of pure boredom and confussion. Some say it has cool images, yes. Great use of color, yes. It's like a dream, sorta. But so what. It makes no sense, it is boring beyond toleration, and it is just bad bad bad and confusing. I ONLY watched the entire movie out of respect for David Lynch, and I shouldn't have even done that. This is the first David Lynch movie I have not liked and I really really didn't like it.


(M) Love In The Afternoon (aka Chloe In The Afternoon)
Grade: A

This is the final film of Eric Rohmer's series 'Six Moral Tales'. This was one of my favorite. The last three films in the series are masterpieces in my opinion. This story is about a man who is married and he and his wife are expecting their first baby. One day a girl who once dated and old friend of the main character shows up. He's a little surprised considering they never really talked or got on very well. However, after talking with her and spending some time with her he starts to fall for her. The man is then faced with what to do when he is drawn to a woman more than he has ever been in his life. Eric Rohmer makes movies that aren't there for mindless entertainment, he is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.


Other movies I have seen this week:
Breach: Grade: B-/C+ [Interesting story about America's most destructive internal spy]
Half Nelson: C
The Break Up: C+
You're Gonna Miss Me: B-/C+ [VERY interesting story about Roky Ericson, from the 13th Floor Elevators. He basically went insane and people don't know why. Drugs? Shock Therapy?]
Diary Of A Country Priest: C-

6 comments:

Hedwig said...

"pure boredom and confusion" kinda sums up the IE doesn't it? lol i'm making fun of my own 'hood. is that what the movie is about? if so maybe he's making a statement about the area :D

pigern said...

Half Nelson a C? That seems rather harsh. I thought it was a good film.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I don't think Inland Empire has anything to do with the actual Inland Empire. I have no idea why that is the title.

I felt Half Nelson was an ok/average movie. I think what's his face did a good job but it didn't seem that amazing to me. Maybe it is a B-/C+ more than a C. It was better than Breach so I guess I should have given it a higher rating. And it was also better than The Break Up. I don't know why I rated it below those. Thanks for calling me out on that one. haha.

Curelover said...

I agree. Half Nelson was pretty good and not for Ryan Gosling but for Shareeka Epps's peformance. I would give it a B at least. Breach as a film was not great but the subject matter was very interesting. What did you like about the Break-Up? I'm curious because I really disliked that movie.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I found the Break Up amusing at times and relatable in the ebb and flow of interaction between men and women during relationships, especially when things are rocky.

pigern said...

My biggest problem with the Break-Up was how it wavered between a comedy and a realistic portrayal of a relationship. The slapstick doesn't work too well if you make it all dramatic and real, and the drama doesn't work too well if you try to make it all fun and stupid. Anyway, Jennifer Aniston bugs me.