Friday, July 13

(B) No One Belongs Here More Than You (Miranda July, 2007) Grade: B
Miranda July’s short story collection is quirky, oddly humorous and overall enjoyable. I found the stories especially entertaining when I heard her reading them aloud, but that might be just because she’s a performance artist and is good at that sort of thing.


(B) Women (Bukowski, 1978) Grade: B
I don’t think this will be my favorite Bukowski book, which isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy it but just that my attention did flag at some points. Here’s a bit I liked: I detested that type of swinging, the Los Angeles, Hollywood, Bel Air, Malibu, Laguna Beach kind of sex. Strangers when you meet, strangers when you part. A gymnasium of bodies namelessly masturbating each other. People with no morals often considered themselves more free, but mostly they lacked the ability to love. So they became swingers. The dead fucking the dead.

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

HAHA. Bukowski has a way with words. I still need to get Miranda's book. It's a shame I have yet to purchase it.