Tuesday, June 5

(TV) So You Think You Can Dance: Auditions (Fox, 2007)
Grade: A-

First off, I'd like to say how much I love this show. SYTYCD is basically American Idol for dancers, Dancing with the Stars without stars, and SO much better than either one of those two shows. I'll probably be keeping a running critique of the show in 2-3 week blocks(my schedule permitting)

These auditions aren't QUITE as obnoxious as AI's auditions because, while they have horrible dancers trying out for entertainment, it's not nearly as gratuitous as AI. Furthermore, the really GOOD dancers that are showcased during auditions make it worth the pain of watching the really crappy/delusional dancers. However, they do follow the AI format in finding "unique" stories about certain contestants. This season seemed to focus on those with disabilities. There was one dancer with a prosthetic leg, one with a prosthetic arm and one with scoliosis(see first video below)---prosthetic arm chick and scoliosis dude were pretty good actually. Scoliosis dude actually got offered a part in Shane Spark's next movie even though he didn't make it to the next round...not too shabby. Overall there were some really interesting dancers and I look forward to seeing the eliminations and the rest of the competition.

On my own little personal side note:
This show makes me miss dancing so much and I realize just how much I love it. Makes me wish there were closer dance studios here in the Inland Empire. Also makes me wish I had taken more classes while I was younger(i.e. lyrical, jazz and ballet).

Finally, my mom and I have a crush on Shane Sparks. He's so cute when he gets excited about the dancers---so passionate! love it.



Someone compiled a "Best Of's" Video. The beginning ones are ok, but if you wait until about minute 7....there's this really awesome pop-locker guy. I think he made Shane Sparks cry.


The Clogger: kinda like tapping but not....i still think it's tapping. He's really good tho.


"Hok": he made it last year but had to be disqualified because he only had a student visa. He has a working visa now....so he's moving on to the next round!



No comments: