Friday, May 11

(A) Volta, Björk (2007) grade: B+

So I'm not a huge Björk fan; I like her music, but I'm not a fanatic. Having been invited to the show near San Francisco, I thought I'd give this album a listen. Turns out, I like it. There's some hype around Timbaland's involvement on this album, but he only worked on three tracks, including the first two singles, "Earth Invaders" and "Innocence", which are my two favorite tracks (what can I say, I enjoy Timbaland's beats, after all, that's what made me like the last Nelly Furtado album). Other good tracks include "I See Who You Are" and "Declare Independence".
Definitely worth checking out.

(A) American Doll Posse, Tori Amos (2007) grade: B

I've enjoyed Tori for a long time. However, her last few albums haven't been that great. This album, for me, marks the return of the Tori I loved. The songs are more gritty than the soft rock she's been putting out; kind of takes me back to the Boys for Pelé days. It's written and recorded from the perspectives of five different characters: Isabel, Clyde, Pip, Santa, and Tori (oh Tori Amos and your faeries).
Some of the tracks I'm enjoying include "Bouncing Off Clouds" and "Digital Ghost" (the latter is a beautiful "ballad", along the order of "1000 Oceans"). I also love the intro track, titled "Yo George", a wonderful commentary on America.

2 comments:

pigern said...

Wow. You're going to see Bjork in SF! It should be good. She's fantastic live.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I like what you had to say about Tori. Her last few albums have been let downs for me. Too adult contemporary. So you have given me hope.