Friday, May 11

(A) Back To Black. (Amy Winehouse, 2006) Grade: B+

Thoughts: I was about to write this album off but it is actually really good. I still dislike Rehab but the rest of the album is quite strong. Some tracks are better than others like Back To Black and Me & Mr. Jones but overall great stuff.

(A) The Boy With No Name. (Travis, 2007) Grade: A-

Thoughts: Some might not think this is an A album but I have a special place in my heart for Travis so I'm giving the high grade. They are back to Travis form and I'm so glad. As the lyrics from My Eyes say ... Welcome home, Welcome home.

(M) The Importance of Being Earnest. (Oliver Parker, 2002) Grade: C-

Thoughts: Based on Oscar Wilde's play by the same title, this dull and childish adaptation was terrible. How the heck did Reese Witherspoon get casted for this role among awesome British actors like Frances O'Connor (so lovely), Rupert Everett (so charming), Colin Firth (great actor) and Judi Dench. What a shame because I bet if executed better the movie would have been more entertaining.

(M) Music and Lyrics. (Marc Lawrence, 2007) Grade: D+

Thoughts: My brain is mad at me for watching this. I should give it a F but darn Drew Barrymore for being so cute and Hugh Grant for being so charming. Darn them. Oh and it was cool to see a random Campbell Scott appearance. I did like the songs from the 80's band Pop! which was all composed by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne. It was an interesting look into young woman artist like old Britney Spears who are making it in the music industry by selling their body and sex compared to the has beens who are trying to make a come back i.e. Tears for Fears (reference in the film), The Police, Crowded House and even Jesus and Mary Chain.

Movie Count: 42

(TV) Stargate Atlantis – Season Two. (Sci Fi Channel, 2005) Grade: B

Thoughts: This was an interesting season. They got rid of one major character and replaced him with another and they are changing the focus of the show a bit. They still don't spend enough time on character development but it is okay. I do like that Mitch Pileggi is in the series now; he was Agent Skinner from the X-Files (YAY!!). We'll see how Season Three goes.

The SciFi channel is having a Heroes marathon on May 19th and since Hedwig keeps telling me how amazing Heroes is I'm considering watching it. Not that I don't have enough to watch as is.

TV Count: 6

2 comments:

bleed like me said...

i agree with the Amy Winehouse review. A couple friends had recommended it to me, and I wasn't a big fan of "Rehab", especially given the hype around it. but after listening to the whole album, the song is pretty good. fav is "Back to Black".

pigern said...

I like that your brain is mad at you for watching Music and Lyrics. My coworker described it as nice wallpaper. Ha ha!