Saturday, April 28

(G) Coachella Valley Music Festival - Friday. (Empire Polo Fields, 2007) Grade: B
Thoughts: A few days before Coachella I started to get a cold (of course) so I was freaking out on how I would feel the day of Coachella. Luckily, after much sleep, I was sort of ready for fun in the sun. Pigern and I hopped in my faithful Corolla and made the long trek to Indio ... after hours of traffic (boooo) and parking and long lines, we finally made it inside.

First up was Silversun Pickups, a local LA band. I really enjoyed their set but Pigern mentioned they were more a small venue band and did not translate too well on the big stage. I could see that.

Next up was Arctic Monkeys. Okay I am not a huge fan of this band because I find their music sort of poppy and forgettable but man do the press LOVE them. The amount of press people there for photos of the band was disturbingly large. They did a pretty mixed set of new and old and favorites that got the crowd going.

A bit of a shame considering the next act was Jesus and Mary Chain. Now JAMC was mainly the ONLY reason reason why I wanted to attend Coachella to begin with ... before I found out they were going to play a show at the Glass House in Pomona (wonderful show). JAMC was awesome BUT they have mellowed out a lot due to age and after following a rocking Arctic Monkeys set, many people were zoning out. I think what only semi woke them up was having Scarlett Johansson come out and sing back up vocals for Just Like Honey (totally pointless anyone??).

I left at the last song of JAMC to go catch a few song from Jarvis Cocker. He was quite the charming British man and after hearing about three songs Pigern and I headed back to the main stage to catch Interpol.

Interpol opened up with a new song from their upcoming album Our Love to Admire out in July, which sounded pretty good. I thought they did a nice set and I'm looking forward to their new stuff. Carlos D. looks different now with a moustache and curly hair. I still think Paul Banks is trying to channel Ian Curtis ... ha ha.

After their set, Pigern and I wandered over to catch a bit of Sonic Youth's set then headed back to watch a few song from Bjork before we looked at each other and said let's go home. So what did I take away from this Coachella ... 1. I'm too old for this now. My back and feet were killing me by the end of the night. 2. Gatorade is good. 3. People who go to these things are idiots. 4. Most of these bands I can see in small and better venues :) Dare I say my last Coachella ever ... unless the Cure or Raoiohead plays again ... hee hee.

5 comments:

pigern said...

I have to agree. This is probably my last Coachella, unless The Smiths reunite (ha ha). The main reason being that I am a show whore and have seen all of the bands already (except for JAMC) and some of them more than once.

Hedwig said...

wow pretty impressive you already blogged....

pigern said...

Hey! I didn’t know Annie Hardy sang during “Just Like Honey” at the Glasshouse. She’s so cute!

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Yeah, I also would have only gone to Coachella for JAMC and after seeing them at the glasshouse I felt it would have been a waste of money. I liked their show but as you said, age has set in. I'd like to see the two "secret" bands at Safari Sam's tueday but doubt I will be able to miss a third day of work for a concert. If Interpol is one of the bands, do you know who the other band is?

Darth said...

psst, i had my last coachella even before i went to coachella.