Tuesday, March 13

(B) Ham on Rye (Charles Bukowski, 1982) Grade: A
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, considering the protagonist is a somewhat uncouth, alcoholic male. But the character felt real; I could picture him in my head as an actual person, and that’s what really struck me. Well, that and the fact he enjoyed reading and writing: Words weren’t dull, words were things that could make your mind hum. If you read them and let yourself feel the magic, you could live without pain, with hope, no matter what happened to you.

Am I allowed to do a book count New Wave? Book count: 5

2 comments:

Curelover said...

Wait a minue ... wait a minute??!! He is an uncouth, alcoholic male who LIKES to read and write. This sounds like straight fiction to me. Have you met uncouth, alcoholic males??!! Ha ha.

Oh and book counts are fine ... I guess.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

One of his greatest works ever. It gives you insight to who he is which brings to life who he becomes later in life. One of my ALL time favorite endings to a novel is in this book. A+