Tuesday, February 20


(M) Pan's Labyrinth; Grade: B+
As I know this movie has been reviewed I shall just say that I enjoyed the film. I think it's the first movie I've seen in a theater since July or something like that. Aspects of this movie reminded me of other movies. The beer bottle beating reminded me of a scene in the movie Irreversible which is a pretty messed up film, the facial wound one of the characters receives reminds me of the Joker's smile in Batman and the Labyrinth pursuit reminded me of The Shining (or as in the simpsons, The Shinin'). I liked the idea of the film. However, there was really only one "evil" character in the fantasy realm and I guess I would have liked more of that character or just more fantasy characters in general. The fascist regime was of course evil enough in the human realm. Overall though, quite an enjoyable movie.


(M) The Secret Of NIMH; Grade: B+
I just re-watched this childhood favorite movie and I still love it. The black crow Jeremy is hilarious. Just a cute movie with themes I never picked up on as a child. I never knew NIMH stood for the National Institute of Mental Health and the theme of the movie was animal experimentation. I guess as a kid the politics in movies aren't something you're aware of.


(M) The Chosen; Grade B-
This book is AMAZING, but the movie is ok. There is so much in the novel about father and son relationships, divergence in religious opinion, and the bounds of friendship. The book is one of my favorite books I've probably read in the last 5 years. The movie however tries to wrap up all these themes in an hour and 40 minutes and of course that is not enough time. I didn't feel I could relate enough to the characters or care as much about them as I did in the novel but it could have just been me being too critical and not just enjoying the experience.

1 comment:

Curelover said...

Pan is a great movie. Nice and violent for me :) Interesting about the Chosen ... just cause I read a book and watched a movie adaption of it and was really unhappy. I wanted more character development and certain things to happen. Lesson learned - don't read the book before the movie.