Friday, August 18

I was looking at my netflix queue and my reviewed movies and I was thining of the documented hours I've spent watching movies. Now... not EVERY movie I've seen has been rated and some of the movies I've rated I've seen many many time. However, I have reviewed 1,273 movies. If you average the running time of a movie, lets say 1 hour and 45 minutes, that means I have spent upwards of 2,228 hours watching movies. That's 93 days of my life watching movies. Again, this doesn't account for movies I've seen more than once or the other movies I have seen but have not documented and it doesn't account for television.

I currently have 192 movies in my queue, that's 336 hours, or 14 days worth of movie watching. It seems a little ridiculous, but then I guess I could be doing worse things like spending 336 hours on myspace or something.

All that being said, I've gone out and checked out a couple Cliffs Notes from the library. Remember these things? They're what you'd read so you wouldn't actually have to read the novel. I decided to get some on books I've read to refresh my memory as well as some on books I am planning on reading. Here's what I got: The Stranger (Camus), The Plague (Camus), The Fountainhead (Rand), Atlas Shrugged (Rand), Waiting For Godot (Beckett).

I also just finished a really interesting book on the progression of world views. It basically talks about how the western worlds history and its evolution from theistic thought which then progressed toward deism, followed by naturalism, which lead into nihilism, existentialism, and the current postmodern world view. It also touches on eastern pantheism and the new age movement. Quite an interesting read.

4 comments:

Hedwig said...

wooh the fountainhead is LOOOOONNNNGG. i remember in h.s. we had to write summaries of each chapter. that was tedious.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

It is loooooong but it's amazing. One of my all time favorite books. Atlas Shrugged is looooooooooooong. Almost twice as long as the fountain head.

Curelover said...

Man I wonder how many hours of tv and movies I have watched. Actually I don't want to know cause I would worry Pigern and myself. HA HA HA.

pigern said...

Yes, Cup-O-Noodles and New Wave worry me.