Monday, July 24

(A) Two Thousand (French Kicks, 2006) Grade: B+
When this New York-based band first appeared on the scene, they were largely (and unfairly) ignoredeclipsed during the heyday of The Strokes. I saw the Kicks about four times in 2003 (they opened for Idlewild’s tour[1]), and though the album had some key tracks, I never considered myself a true fan. That changed with the 2004 release of The Trial of the Century, a far more sophisticated, musically developed offering than their debut. Two Thousand is for the most part a continuation of Century; some tracks use similar piano melodies and drum rhythms, with only minor revisions on the layering and technique. This time around, the Kicks elicit comparisons to The Walkmen, from Nick Stumpf mimicking Hamilton Leithauser’s elastic vocals to the overall sound (see “So Far Are We”). The Kicks are performing (for their fruit-themed album) at the Troubadour on Aug. 21. And it’s true: “England Just Will Not Let You Recover.” Cheers.
[1] I still remember when Natural History and French Kicks were the opening bands for Idlewild at the El Rey, and New Wave saw the Kicks walk on stage. “Is this suppose to be a different band? They look just like the last one!” she saidarms crossed of course.

2 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I watched the Kicks open for Idlewild and I was EXTREMLY impressed! Haven't followed them though... maybe I'll check out the new tunes. Or... as per usual... just go to a show and see them.

Curelover said...

Hey I remember that show. I was pretty unimpressed. My arms are uncrossed now but a bad band has not started playing yet so give me a second.