Saturday, July 15

(G) Minor Canon
Location: The Prospector
Grade: C+
I went to the Prospector Thursday night to catch a set by the band Minor Canon. I had seen that they were going to be playing The Echo in LA and stumbled across their webpage saying they'd be performing in Long Beach. I was a little hesitant to go see a band at the Prospector in Long Beach because I had never seen anything good there. However, I decided to give The Minor Canon a chance since their music samples on their web page sounded decent enough. They actually weren't bad. Nothing to drool over but they did a good job. I believe they're going to be playing at Sunset Junction. It's drums, piano, acoustic guitar, bass, and a horn player. They all dress up in a similar suit... so there's like an "outfit" that they wear. It was a nice performance.




Old People and McDonalds
So I was at McDonalds for some cheap dinner before I went to El Cid to see Love Like Fire and I took my usual spot in any restaurant like McDonalds, alone in a corner where nobody can see or bother me. However, a few tables away there were three elderly men hanging out chatting. All of them were talking about when they were at that very McDonalds some other day or morning and they were talking about other old people who hang out at the McDonalds. It was very amusing to me that these hold people hang-out at McDonalds. They talked about the locals who do the same and visiting houses of some of the people and drunk mexican automechanics and wives who won't ever shut the hell up. I swear it was one of the most interesting McDonalds experiences I've had in awhile. I just wanted to laugh at them and then I wondered if I'd be doing the exact same thing in the future.




(G) Love Like Fire
Location: El Cid
Grade: B+
My night was scheduled for me to attend the performance of Letting Up Despite Great Faults at the Hotel Cafe when Pigern suggested I attend the Love Like Fire performance at El Cid. I intended to hit up both shows but there were line-up complications at El CId that made me afraid to leave and miss the band. Waiting around for Love Like Fire was worth it to me. They were pretty solid, especially for only having been together for 6 months. The singer is the nicest girl and the drummer was incredibly friendly to me as well. The only complaint I'd have about the performance has nothing to do with the band but with the sound engineer who had the instruments too high and the vocals too low. You could barely distinguish what she was saying and at times not even hear her. As for the band though, very good. I felt bad that everybody left before they took stage (though it was after 12:30am) but the band everyone went to see... some puppet show band, was horrible. Why do people all flock to such crap (no comments about Monsters Are Waiting, New Wave!).

-"Let down and hanging around, crushed like a bug in the ground."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You missed a really great show by Letting Up.

Curelover said...

Why do you people insist on seeing these bad bands. Good grief. Ha Ha.

Anonymous said...

I second that motion - letting up put on an AMAZING show

Anonymous said...

i showed up at hotel cafe to watch big phony, and i was blown away by 'letting up despite great faults'

they were fantastic!