Saturday, May 13

(B) The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner (Alan Sillitoe, 1959) Grade: B+
I found this collection of short stories in a used bookshop and bought it solely because of the title (adapted for a Belle & Sebastian tune). The title story itself is very much a commentary on the class system in 1960s Britain and a spot on metaphor for life (running a race to the finish line). The others in this collection also are quite enjoyable; my favorites being “Uncle Ernest” and “The Fishing-Boat Picture.” (Interesting note: Sillitoe’s first novel, Saturday Evening and Sunday Morning, is the source for Arctic Monkeys’ album title Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.)

(M) Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (Steve Coogan, 2006) Grade: B-
New Wave thought I would love this film because she enjoyed it (Feb. 26) and it’s British. And this film is very British. The humor is extremely subtle and not as obvious as typical Hollywood films, which could explain its limited appeal stateside. Most Americans might not even realize this is a comedy. But Tristram Shandy isn’t a film I would willingly watch again, as it left me with nary an impression.

No comments: