Saturday, April 15

Random Thoughts

How scary is it that I will be a doctor in a lil over a year. I just realized that today and it freaked me out. Like you work so long for something that when it starts getting closer, it seems so surreal.

Alot of my friends have finally figured out what residencies to apply to, which is great. We've got people going into OBGYN, Medicine/Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. We'll see if we all get into the residency we want. It all depends on the match.

The process of the match is pretty crazy. You fill out one application which gets sent to whatever programs you want to apply to. This includes your transcripts, a personal statement, a deans letter(outlines all your activities, how you did in school etc etc.) and letters of recommendations. From that the programs decide if they want to interview you. After the interview there is the ranking process. You rank each program and each program ranks you. Then a big computer takes your rankings and takes the program rankings and magically matches you together. It's really complicated and I don't get it all that well myself, but so that's how applying for residency goes.

I freak out everyday....lol.

2 comments:

Curelover said...

wait this whole time you were going to be a doctor?? i thought you were going to be a rocket scientist. ha ha.

Hedwig said...

no, i gave up being a rocket scientist so i could dance for quarters on the side. being a doctor would allow me to do so. plus, my patients seem to really enjoy it. haha