Sunday, April 16

(M) Last Holiday (Wayne Wang, 2006) Grade: D
I offered to review a movie for work to earn some extra brownie points, so I got this film, which looked less torturous than some of the others. Plus director Wang is responsible for The Joy Luck Club. But I guessed wrong. Though Queen Latifah tries her best to be charming, the plot line is so predictable that New Wave guessed everything that happened without having seen it. And I think Hollywood should know that death is not easy fodder for laughs.


(O) 1984 (The Actors’ Gang, The Ivy Substation) Grade: A
Directed by Tim Robbins, this production plays on current events to make George Orwell’s book relevant today. And it works. Take the sayings in Goldstein’s book: (1) Knowledge is ignorance; (2) War is peace; (3) Freedom is slavery. Luckily, the play isn’t heavy-handed in its message. Watching theater also reminds me of how much more difficult it is for the actors. They must deal with a limited set design, a heavy reliance on dialogue/acting and the ability to smooth over stage goofs. Tickets are only $25 and runs until May 20. And remember: “Big Brother is watching.”

1 comment:

Curelover said...

Sadly I think I have watched enough movies to guess a lot of endings. but hey ... movies are meant to be entertaining so yea.