Monday, March 27

(O) Cal State Long Beach Art Show 03/26 - 03/30

First, I'll show one of my favorite pieces of the night, though nothing special it's the one I liked most for the message I took from it.


When I see this piece I think, "How obsured this would be if things went this far. Then I thought... how obsured that mammals like ourselves already do this. Look at how silly it looks on other animals, and it's just as ridiculous that we do it as well."

Next are a few of the items I came to see specifically. This artist took photos with some of his students at various places. They all passed a camera around and took photos, then the artist arranged the photos to make an almost in-sync looking image, though it's not a complete image. Each image is divided in half and pieced together with another image, making an almost whole looking image but with part missing. The idea was showing the perception of shared experiences among people yet there also being an absence of shared experiences at the same time.
For a better idea of the pictures you can go here.



This next piece is part of a series of an artist who made books. The part that represents the words of the books is the artists actual hair sewn into the book. I don't know what the idea was behind it but I thought it was interesting.


Lastly I'll share this image. It's a room that was titled, 'The Power Of The Penis'. There were no penises, only a phallic looking helium container. All across the floor were opened condom wrappers and fans were placed around the room blowing the condoms (filled with helium I guess) all over the room in a tornado like effect. It was fun to walk in and get smacked in the face with blown up condoms (never thought I'd say that)and kick them around and watch them float around the room.

2 comments:

pigern said...

I went to LACMA the other day and was thinking about how modern art today is more about the idea than the art itself. Most of the time, you think, I can easily make that used piece of cardboard with bits of trash glued to it. But I guess that isn’t the point. It’s not about skill; it’s about thought.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I think you may be right. I also think... I could do that. That's art? But if it gives you something to think about... well... at least it has that going for it. However, art such as drawing a circle and a 6x5 foot canvas... makes me think of nothing other than, "Sir, you are a great scam artist." Maybe that's the type of artists they are... they're all scam artists.