Sunday, February 26

(M) Flightplan. (Robert Schwentke, 2005) Grade: C+

Thoughts: Kyle (Jodie Foster) just lost her husband and is taking his dead body along with her young daughter back to NY from Berlin, Germany. While on the plane Kyle's daughter goes missing and she has to figure out what happened. Mixing a corrupt Air Marshall, bitchy airline stewardess and a stupid pilot, the film was pretty contrived and far fetched. However I do love Jodie Foster so I forgave it. I agree with Hedwig that if I had to pay for it I would have been upset. It was good to see Peter Sarsgaad in an evil role. He is a great actor but not as a leading man. He brings presence to a scene when it is needed but he cannot carry the movie. In addition, Brian Grazer’s company produced the film so it had a very 24 (the TV show) feel to it, which I enjoyed.

(M) Lord of War. (Andrew Niccol, 2005) Grade: B

Thoughts: The studio marketed this movie completely wrong. The ads for it made it out to be yet another dumb Nicolas Cage action flick, which it sort of was but there was another side to it. Yuri Orlov (Nicolas Cage) has entered into the gun running business. With the aid of his brother Vitaly Orlov (Jared Leto), Yuri goes around to countries buying up their weapons and then turning around and selling it to other countries. It was a fascinating look into weapons, corrupt governments and sheer evil and hate. Where the movie fails is the Hollywood bullshite story it tried to integrate in the political message it was sending by dealing with Yuri and his model wife Ava Fontaine (Bridget Moynahan) having marriage issues to having a U.S. agent Jack Valentine (Ethan Hawke) chasing after him. The movie would have done better as a voice over of how realistic gun running is to society and political regime. As long as there is poverty, war and corruption, there will be gunrunners supplying society with means to kill each other.

(M) Dei gwong tit (Sound of Colors). (Joe Ma, 2003) Grade: B
Thoughts: A nice and cute romance starring Tony Leung and Miriam Yeung, two of my favorite HK actors. I'm not going to review this since I know not too many people will care.

(M) Date Movie. (Jason Friedberg and Aaron Selzer, 2006) Grade: D-

Thoughts: I saw this movie because a co-worker of mine is going through some rough times. This movie was so horrible words can not describe the garbage. A shame too considering I love Alyson Hannigan so much as an actress. Oh well. (Sigh).

1 comment:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Lord of War sounds interesting. I hate Nicholas Cage so I don't see his movies. However, your review now made me want to see a movie I will never see because it has Nicholas Cage in it.