Sunday, November 6


(M) Saw (2004 Suspense/Horror movie) Grade: B+
Okay so I had a HUGE midterm thingy on Wednesday so I had to pass up Halloween on Monday for a night of studying. However, Friday night I made up for it on "scary movie night" in which somebody recommended watching this movie 'Saw' which I had no real interest in seeing but was curious as a sequel was made so I figured it might be somewhat interesting. I was very suprised by how much I actually enjoyed this movie. Though the acting is not tops (but it was shot in 18 days with no rehearsals due to such a small budget). Anyway... it was somewhat different from modern day horror/suspense movies, though I did kinda feel somebody watched the movie Seven and decided to make their own "do the world good by being bad" movie. Anyway... it can be suspenseful, not really "scary" but it is bloody and I didn't see the end coming at all which was really interesting.

Quick Synopsis: Mystery person is putting people in life or death situations so that the victims will appreciate life. They can either die which they deserve, since anybody who doesn't appreciate life shouldn't be allowed to live, or they can try and get out of this "trap" and live to bring realization and meaning to their life, provided they can escape the situation before the situation brings about their death.



(M) Saw 2 (2005 Horror/Suspense Movie) Grade: B-/C+
Off of the enjoyment of the first one which I saw Friday, I rushed out to see the second one Saturday night. Had this one been the first movie, I may not have gone and seen part 2... but it wasn't the first one, it was the second one so maybe I shouldn't have expected much originality. Though I enjoyed it, it was probably the end that raised my opinion of the movie. However, I discredit a movie that relies on the ending to justify the entire movie as "good". But it was ok, well.. better than ok. Instead of showing different scenarios that different people had to go through (like in the first one), it was a group experience of "torture".

I guess since in the first one you were learning what the mastermind behind all the torture scenarios was doing and why and trying to figure out who he was, it made it more engrossing. Now, knowing who the bad guy is, it takes away the mystery and leaves just wondering who will live, who will die, and what the "catch" of the movie is.

1 comment:

Curelover said...

i was wondering what all the hoo-haw over saw was about. i heard it was a terrible movie but then they go and make saw 2 so i guess it was not that bad.