Tuesday, November 29

(M) Ice Harvest. (Harold Ramis, 2005) Grade: C-

Thoughts: Darth will never let me forget about taking him to this bore of a film. Harold Ramis has done some great work - Caddyshack, the Ghostbuster series and my all time favorite Groundhog Day but I can not say the same for this one. John Cusack is Charlie Arglist, a lawyer for a mob boss (Randy Quaid) in Kansas. He steals $2 million from his boss with the help of Vic Cavanaugh (Billy Bob Thornton) and has to get out of town once the ice storm has passed. The only highlights for me in this 88 minute mess were Billy Bob and Oliver Platt who played Pete Van Heuten, Charlie's drunken buddy. The entire movie dragged along and even at the end with the plot twist you just did not care what happened to any of the characters.

(M) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. (Andrew Adamson, 2005) Grade: A-

Thoughts: I remember growing up and watching the BBC and cartoon version of this cherished children story. Please note I said children story because before it is a vehicle to preach the gospel, it is a simple children story which C.S. Lewis himself wrote for his goddaughter (thanks Hedwig). One aspect of the film I really enjoyed was the use of mainly unknown expect for a few exceptions like Tilda Swinton (Jadis, the White Witch), Rupert Everett (voice of Fox) and Liam Neeson (voice of Aslan). All of the children were new to acting or had very little acting experience and the casting for Lucy was pretty dead on. My biggest issue with the movie was the fact fricking hatful Disney distributed it. During the key battle scene between Good vs. Evil the audience is not allowed to see ONE shed of blood which made it the safest battle I've ever seen in my life. Granted I've watched too many Lord of the Ring-ish films that I'm use to gore but come on. Another complaint I've heard is the heavy use of CGI. Yes I will admit the background scenes and some of the creatures look very unreal but you know half the movies in Hollywood are made that way now. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and recommend everyone to go and watch it.

(M) Marche de l'empereur, La (March of the Penguins). (Luc Jacquet, 2005) Grade: A-

Thoughts: This documentary is informative and heart warming. The penguins are so cute with the little ways they waddle along and the baby chicks are even cuter. I would be interested in seeing the French version where the penguins are treated like characters talking to each other.

5 comments:

Darth said...

I still can't believe I watched the Ice Harvest. Why God, Why?

Hedwig said...

it was for his goddaughter...not granddaughter. haha i'm such a dork. i just started reading the magician's nephew again and will continue on to the lion the witch and the wardrobe. how'd you guys get to see it so early??

Curelover said...

i remember it was for some daughter of his. hee hee. well i made the correction. i got to see thanks to pigern and her awesome job of free stuff. yea the screening i went to had a question and answer after with the director and producers. neat-o huh.

pigern said...

Magician's Nephew was a bit mediocre, probably because he wanted to explain how everything took place later on in Lion, Witch.

Hedwig said...

Yeah I agree. I am halfway through the book, and it's dragging. I remember it being not so exciting, but decided to read it anyway for completeness sake.