Sunday, October 23

(G) Say Hi To Your Mom/Nada Surf @ El Rey (Oct. 22) Grade: B
Enjoying a gig can be difficult if you have a mild case of bronchitis, but nevertheless... Say Hi favored noise volume over subtlety, which I think is more of their strength. A loud, raucous rock band might be what they strive for, but their music is otherwise. On the plus side, their merchandise was fantastic. I got a spaceship tee and pins (one of which reads, “Yeah, I fell in love with an android”). The merch gal probably thought I was their biggest fan, but I really just love spaceship/robot swag.
Nada Surf was in top form, and they knew it, playing for a solid two hours. That included two encores *and* their 1996 hit “Popular.” The only downside, besides depleting my cough drop supply, were the dudes and dudettes at the show. Who knew Nada entertained a frat crowd? Them and Pavement, and let’s not forget Radiohead. (Sorry New Wave.)

No comments: