Thursday, June 2

(A) Fijación Oral, Vol. 1. Shakira (2005) grade: B

The first of a two-part series (volume 2 will be the english-language, Oral Fixation, out later this year). I wasn't too impressed with the lead single "La tortura (artista invitado Alejandro Sanz)". When I first heard the album, I also wasn't impressed. But after having listened a few times, I've quickly grown to like and appreciate most of the songs. I was kinda surprised to hear the B-52s-influenced "Escondite inglés" and the Killers-esque "Día especial", but it makes sense following the rather new wave song, "Rules" off of her last album.
Although this album is not as strong as the magnificent Dónde están los ladrones?, it is better than Laundry Service; her voice is much better in spanish than english.
standout tracks: "En tus pupilas", "La pared", "La pared (versión acústica)", "La tortura (Shaketon Remix con Alejandro Sanz)"

No comments: