Thursday, May 5

(M) Chorok Mulkogi (Green Fish). (1997, Chang-dong Lee) Grade: C+
Thoughts: I saw this movie awhile back but forgot to review it. A standard storyline about a man who gets out of the army and has to look for work. He heads back to his hometown only to realize nothing is the same and gets involved with some gangster/mob people. I found the story pretty interesting and the ending very depressing.

(M) Vera Drake. (2004, Mike Leigh) Grade: A
Thoughts: This was such a great film. It was well done and well acted. As soon as the film started I was drawn in until the end. Imelda Staunton is amazing as Vera. In the movie, Vera plays a mother and wife to her family and caretaker to those around the neighborhood. She is viewed as a sweet older lady who just cares a lot but her dark sercet is she performs aborations to girls/women who are unable to afford it. Although the film touches upon a controversial topic matter - aboration - you sympathize with Vera and what she is doing.

(M) Fever Pitch. (1997, David Evans) Grade: C+
Thoughts: I saw the updated version of this film and didn't think much of it. So it wasn't much of a surprise when I saw the originial UK version and found it dull. I did not buy Sarah Hughes (Ruth Gemmell) and Paul Ashworth (Colin Firth) relationship because it never went into why they liked each other - they just did. There was also too much football aka soccer talk throughout the film which only made it more confusing and dull. Usually I love Colin Firth but he seemed a bit out of his element trying to play a "sporty" guy when all I can picture him doing is having tea and biscuits. Still I guess if i had to pick between this film and the updated one I rather just watch this one.

(M) Byeol (Star). (2003, Hyeong-ik Jang) Grade: B-
Thoughts: A Korean romantic comedy/drama about boy meets girl. It was not bad compared to some other Asian movies I've seen but not one of my all time favorites. I found the lead male to be a bit stiff and Frankstein looking. The girl was super cute though but then again most of the Asian girls in these movies are.

(M) Failan. (2001, Hae-sung Song) Grade: B
Thoughts: Surprisingly a good film about a chinese girl trying to make a life for herself in Korea. Failan (Cecilia Cheung) gets to stay in Korea by getting a fake marriage license to an aging gangster name Kang-Jae. Over time Failan falls in love with her "fake" husband even though she knows nothing about him or has ever met him. Of course it wouldn't be a real Asian film if no one died so you can guess what happens. On another note, Cecilia Cheung is moving up my list of actresses I am really coming to like.

(M) Caddyshack. (1980, Harold Ramis) Grade: C+
Thoughts: A classic film I know but pretty random and strange if you ask me. I did enjoy the film but found it a bit looney and all over the map. Rodney Dangerfield stole that whole movie though as Al Czervik. He was wonderful and perfect for that role. Bill Murray as Carl Spackler was pretty sweet as well and the gopher was excellent. I don't think Chevy Chase was enough of a presence and the random boobie shots and Danny Noonan (Michae O'Keefe) storylines were random.

No comments: