Sunday, March 6

(M) In America. (2002, Jim Sheridan) Grade: B-
Thoughts: An Irish family moves to New York illegally and makes a life for themselves. I think this was loosely based on the director's real life, though I'm not sure. The movie was alright ... nothing special. Samantha Morton who played Sarah was great and deserved her nomination for best actress even though she didn't win that year. I really enjoyed Djimon Hounsou's performance as Mateo.

(M) Dai Si Gein (Breaking News). (2004, Johnnie To) Grade: C+
Thoughts: I liked the idea of the film but not sure about the execution. The police is made into a mockery when the media shows them losing a gun battle against some bad guys. To save their image the police need to capture the bad guys in an over the top dramatic way. I would have liked to see them develop more on the lead police and lead bad guy roles but hey this is a typical Hong Kong action movie.

2 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I actually thought In America was rather good, and I felt the kids did an amazing job. I still think the most emotional part for me was when the dad was playing the carnival game for his daughters. That was a tough scene for me.

Curelover said...

I know I'm not dead inside because I was bawling like a little bitch during Finding Neverland. Ha ha. Okay the little girls were super cute and I didn't know they were real life sisters so that's cool. I just found the movie a bit slow and dragged out at some parts. The ending was very touching though .... I guess it should get a B- then.