Sunday, March 6

(B) Our Town (Thornton Wilder, 1938. 117pgs.) Grade: A+
As you can see I had n uneventful weekend. So, yes I read another book. This time a play! As a child I remember many sitcoms having the episode where the child actor plays a role in the school production of 'Our Town'. I came across the play at a used bookstore saturday and decided to give it a read, knowing it's a classic.
I was very drawn into the story, and as probably for most people, it's the third and final act that hits home and brings up the emotion within'. The play is divided into three acts. The first is sort of an intro to whom everyone is and just a basic setting of life at the beginning of the 20th century. The second act deals with marriage and falling in love and the thrid act deals with death. It's the dead talking about the living and watching them that is somewhat painful to read. Now adays in times of such triviality and superficiality it can really make you think a bit. For somebody like myself who is just sorta sitting around waiting for the end to come it brings up two questions I guess. One being should I live differently now, or am I right in seeing the triviality of this life that really (for me) has no big meaning, and what to do with that thought.
Anyway, it's an excellent story and I recommend it. Again, an easy read.

No comments: