Thursday, February 17

(M) Talk To Her (2002, Pedro Almodovar) Grade: B
Though it took me 4 days to watch this movie, I did enjoy it quite a bit. In this film there are two men who have a similar story, they both love a woman (not the same woman) and both the women they love end up in coma's in the same hospital. One man has a personal and intimate relationship with the woman he loves, and the other man was an admirer of the woman he loves but never had any real relationship with her. While the women are in the coma's, one man (the admirer) teaches the other man how to care for the woman he loves even though she's in a coma and there can be no give and take from their relationship. It's quite an interesting and lovely film.

However, here is what really struck me as interesting and it may have little to do with the film, I don't know. First, there is a scene where a man becomes incredibly small and when the woman he loves is asleep he climbs over her breasts and then goes down between her legs and walks into her vagina (Charles Bukowski wrote a short story about this). I don't know if in the movie they're watching a movie where this happens or if it was a dream, I don't remember. Second was the fact that one of the men in the film (the admirer) has sex with the woman he is in love with while she's in a coma. I am curious on what a psycho-analysis of these two scenes would suggest. In both stories it's a man taking advantage of an unaware or unconscious woman. I guess since you never see the rape that the scene of the small man entering the unconscious woman is an artistic rendering of when the rape happens, and maybe he's saying only a small man would rape a woman or take advantage of her when she is unconscious, and I don't mean small in stature.

Anyway, anybody on here who has seen this movie and remembers what I am talking about I'd like your input or your take on it.

1 comment:

Curelover said...

In the film, Benigno Martín (Javier Cámara) is telling Alicia (Leonor Watling) this story about a husband and wife who are scientist/inventors and one of them comes up with a shrinking potion which the husband takes. The wife swears she will love her husband forever and tries to find a way to make him big again. In the scene where he is "making love" to her I think Benigno was doing the same to Alicia. The way I saw it was the little husband was making love to his wife the best that he could because he was so small and at a disadvantage which I guess Benigno was doing the same to Alicia considering she was also disadvantage, being in a coma, but wanted to show his love for her. I read some reviews that quite a few people found the rape part the downfall of the film but to be honest ... this is Pedro Almodovar. He is a one f*cked up director and I love him for that. I must say though ... Talk to Her was not my fave of his work. For me it would be All About My Mother, Bad Education, then Talk to Her. I need to see his earlier work.