Sunday, February 6

(M) River's Edge (1987, Tim Hunter) Grade: C-

I would have maybe given this a D, but I don't want two hours of my life back so I gave it a C-. I know this movie got tons of acclaim. I didn't care for it. I don't know if the acting was really really bad, or that the actors were playing their roles so very very well. The movie is based on the true story of a guy (in high school) who kills his girlfriend with no remorse. He then brags to all his friends about his crime and the question of how loyal do you stay to your friends arises. The thing that bugged me most is that this movie just shows the nature of true selfishness in humans. Mostly with a 12 year old kid who is a monster of a child and feels he has a right to do whatever he wants to people but when his brother gets mad at him the kid goes off to get a gun to kill his brother. I don't know... these are mentalities I've seen in life and it disturbs me. There is one part I really liked where a teacher says that people say they're sad and sorry about death but that people really aren't, at least not in the way they try to convince people they are. (I'm referring to murder, not natural death). He goes on to say why he thinks this and to some level I would have to agree with him. Anyway, I'm not sure why this movie was considered SO great, but it is disturbing in a way, I'll give 'em that.

No comments: