Thursday, February 17

(M) Heavenly Creatures. (1994, Peter Jackson) Grade: A-
Thoughts: I would have given this film a B+ but the true story part really pushed it up. The story is about two girls Pauline Yvonne (Parker) Rieper (Melanie Lynskey) and Juliet Hulme (Kate Winslet) who are best friends/lovers. Well I use lovers lightly because I think in the beginning they start off as just best friends but form this huge obsessive, twisted relationship together which make them become lovers. In the film, Juliet finds out she will be moving and the two girls can't handle that so what do they do ... they kill. I won't say who so as not to spoil the film but it is so twisted ... I think more so because it was a true story. I loved Kate Winslet in the film, you could see a young budding actor coming out. Peter Jackson also did a great job directing and who knew he would move on to bigger and better things aka Lord of the Rings :).

2 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I saw this movie when it came out and I loved it! I like the clay animation characters in their fantasy worlds. Yeah, it's disturbing that this is a true story and when they do the murder it is VERY disturbing. But it's trully an experience.

Anonymous said...

From your description, the movie sounds pretty good. At first, I was surprised that it was by Peter Jackson, but the more I think about it, the "best-friends-become-weirdly-obssessed-lovers" dynamic was in Lord of the Rings as well (Sam/Frodo, with Frodo being the bitch more often than not). It also sounds a bit like Brad and Tim... I'm not sure who's the bigger bitch there.