Sunday, January 9


(M) Shi mian mai fu (House of Flying Daggers). (2004, Yimou Zhang) Grade: B- // Visual Grade: A
Thoughts: Best movie of 2004 ... far from. Visually the movie is stunning but then again this is Yimou Zhang and that's what he does (see "Hero"). However what lacks in this film is a good story. I found the film too melodramatic, stylized and sexed up. I did not care for the characters or the love story ... about the only thing that held my interest was the House of Flying Daggers taking over the Emperor and that was less than 20 minutes of the whole film. One thing that did surprise me was Zhang Ziyi did not bother me as much as she usually does. I could be just extra harsh on the film because I had watched "Once Upon A Time In China" early this weekend, which was far superior in story and fight sequences. Hmmm no no ... I don't think it was that. Ha Ha.

No comments: