Sunday, January 9

(M) Manchurian Candidate. (2004, Jonathan Demme) Grade: B-

Sorry, I can NOT put pluses/minuses...I've lived my whole academic career on those 2 symbols). I put the minus because the science wasn't really plausible---yes i'm a dork. Great performances by the whole cast, which is what really carried this movie. It'd be kind of freaky if this movie is what G.W. was all about hehe. Has anyone seen the original? I haven't.

(M) Garden State. (2004, Zach Braff--one f or 2?)
Grade: B+
Finally a hyped up indie film that actually lived up to the hype. I think it's also that I didn't expect anything from it, unlike Napoleon Dynamite, but even if I had expected anything I would have been satisfied. Natalie Portman was charming and sometimes borderline annoying, but she gave the movie and Zach Braff's character life. I really liked the soundtrack. Kudos to (if anyone watches scrubs)"JD"...no longer a newbie.

(M) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.(2004, Alfonso CuarĂ³n)
Grade: B
When I first watched this movie in the theaters I would have given it a C- just because I was so disappointed with the story changes. But now that I have the DVD (thanks to New Wave) I will rate it again, because my feelings have changed. I still don't like the annoying shrunken head---especially the cheesy, so-not-funny interviews with the cast he did, but all the other changes I can handle. Yes, the storyline didn't follow the book exactly, but that's ok. At least now I know that J.K. Rowling approves of all the changes. I think Alfonso Cuaron did a fabulous job making the set darker and a little more "real" compared to Chris Columbus' movies. The visual effects were great. The acting is progressively improving, so they should be ready for the Goblet of Fire(can't wait!). Cho Chang here we come!---that's gonna be(better be) a long ass movie!

I'll rate (B) Angels and Demons once I finish reading it and (TV) Lost and (TV) Joey once the season is over.


No comments: