Monday, January 1

2017 drama review


So I began this C drama journey last year when I was getting bored with US TV programming and the lack of Asian representation. I decided hey let's check out Asian TV series and venture into that realm. A year later, after going down that deep dark rabbit hole that is C dramas and the crazy nutty world it is I've watched little to none US shows and countless hours of Asian dramas. The amount of hours boggles the mind truly.

In review I ended 2017 with 12 completed dramas and countless uncompleted ones and more knowledge of C dramas and actors and actresses than ever before ... and I'm still greatly behind and in need of more. It has been fun and some dramas will have a special place with me always. When A Snail Falls In Love will always be my all time favorite drama for the introduction to Wang Kai Wai (the actor) and C dramas overall. 

For modern C dramas, though Pretty Li Hui Zhen and The Fox's Summer were silly, they were fun and I enjoyed them both ... even though they were over 40 eps and dragged at times. More school dramas were A Love So Beautiful, which was sweet and cute and Where the Lost Ones Go, which I found impressive. From the way it was shot to the acting to the storyline, it was very well done and independent. It definitely wasn't as formulaic as the rest of the C dramas I was use to watching. For historic C dramas, Three Lives Three Worlds aka Eternal Love was the drama of the year in China. It was very good and entertaining but it dragged at times with over 58 eps. Love Lost in Time sadly was not as entertaining even though it was well done and at 56 eps it was too much, I am still trying to finish. 

For K dramas, Fight My Way was my favorite for being the most slice of life and realistic as far a dramas could be. Strong Woman and Because This is My First Life though enjoyable had some issues, especially Because This is. For T dramas, Fated to Love You, although dated, was close to perfection in chemistry of leads and storytelling. That was a well done and executed drama. I found Behind Your Smile enjoyable as well but Attention, Love less so. The plus side of K and T dramas is the brevity of eps, most of them under 20 eps. I have yet to finish Bromance, a T drama, but I know upon completion this will be one of my favorite dramas due to the excellent chemistry of the two leads and fun gender bender storyline. 

Goals I have for this coming 2018 is watch more dramas to completion and try to always watch at least one HK drama so I can get better on my Cantonese and just be exposed to more HK stuff. 

No comments: