Sunday, February 22

Topic: Oscars, DM

*The Oscars were tonight where we stroke the egos of movie stars. Most of the winners were pretty by the book with no real surprises. I thought maybe Mickey Rourke would get Best Actor for the Wrestler but I guess the Academy was worried about what he would say in his speech. I was happy Kate Winslet won, she is the best and I know some (sorry Cup) did not think Slumdog Millionaire was anything special but I was glad it won Best Picture. Oh and Hugh Jackman did fine job hosting (and was easy on the eyes) and it was cute when Anne Hathway went on stage with him to sing.



*Depech Mode is coming back to town in August. I am not a huge fan of them but they are pretty good live, might check them out in Vegas.

*How is it already the end of February? (sigh)

4 comments:

Cup-O-Noodles said...

I thought maybe Mickey Rourke would win as well. I knew Slumdog would win which was ridiculous in my opinion, but I am outside the norm on a lot of things.

I thought the stage set-up was elegant. Very well done.

Didn't enjoy the singing during the remembering those who passed on.

The Jerry Lewis tribute was the best thing of the night for me.

I liked how actors and actresses would say kind things to those nominated before announcing "who the oscar goes to" (aka The winner).

Hugh did do a good job hosting, though I thought his singing was good until he had to sing along with Beyonce who made him sounds not so good, haha.

Seeing the family of Heath Ledger was sad.

Sean Penn's comment on how it was great to live in a country where we could elect an elegant man was ridiculous, as if elegance should ever be the reason to elect somebody. But I was curious what he was referring to when he mentioned the signs of "hatred" outside as people arrived. Were there some protests outside??

Overall, a good night, not too many surprises. I disagree with a lot of the results and feel it's a shame Bruce SPringsteen's song for The Wrestler wasn't even nominated. Only three nominated songs? Not five? And two were for Slumdog... rigged?

pigern said...

Yeah, the awards were pretty by the book. Entertainment Weekly was almost 100% correct in its predictions, but was wrong in the big upset of "Departures" winning over "Waltz With Bashir" for Foreign.

I thought the actors/actresses thing was awkward, but it was nice to see the past winners (except Sophia Loren...scary).

Interestingly, the Brits are embarrassed by Kate Winslet's speeches (From the Guardian: Britons moaned about Kate Winslet for not having a stiff upper lip when she won her Golden Globe recently. ). No British reserve!

pigern said...

I think the protests were about Jerry Lewis. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29343027/

Cup-O-Noodles said...

Thanks for filling me in Pigern.